Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eighth Street Bridges to OPEN this Tuesday!

If Mardi Gras isn’t reason enough to party, celebrate this.

The Eighth Street bridges will be reopening this Tuesday. The bridges will be open to pedestrians starting at 9 a.m., and they’ll be open to vehicular traffic around 2 p.m., after a brief ceremony at the intersection of Eighth and Cherry Streets.

Steve Bridges — owner of three businesses which have been isolated by the bridges’ closure — probably summed up most people’s sentiments: “I don't care if they have a procession. Just give me my traffic back.”

The construction work still isn’t complete. Sealer will need to be applied to each bridge, probably later this spring or early in the summer. At that time they’ll close one bridge at a time to apply the sealer, and the other bridge will remain open.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness for that!

3:51 PM, February 22, 2009  
Blogger Willow said...

Yipee!!!! 'Bout time!!! Never realized what we had till it was gone.

7:22 PM, February 22, 2009  
Blogger BBC said...

Thank you for the invite but I think I will pass on that. I just don't want to be on one of those bridges if a good earthquake hits.

I have seen their power and they scare the crap out of me.

I know how to get to those areas so I really have no need for the bridges to get to the places I want to go in them.

Going to them never stopped any of my friends, it only stopped the lazy spoiled idiots that want shortcuts.

A 150 foot drop during an earth quake, yeah, I guess you can can call that a short cut, to the end of your life, ha ha ha.

But I would like to stick around for a while longer, I'm not done picking on fuckin' idiots yet. :-)

7:31 PM, February 22, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took long enough, but better late than never. 8th Street has been looking like a desert, it will be weird to see lots of cars on it again.

12:37 AM, February 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha! Billy, you slay me!

6:26 AM, February 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll risk the bridges collapsing on me for a Bridgeburger. Mmmmm.

4:24 PM, February 23, 2009  
Blogger BBC said...

Ha ha ha ha! Billy, you slay me!

Some I slay, some I piss off, go figure. Either way, it's all good to me. :-)

6:50 PM, February 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have the jack booted Border Patrol goons set up guard shacks at both ends to check everyone's papers that want to cross?

9:13 PM, February 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, they have and you're the first to be deported!
If ya ain't got nuthin to hide, then ya ain't got nuthin to worry about!
Fool.

8:38 AM, February 27, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 8th Street bridges have nice wide sidewalks now. Maybe pedestrians can walk across now without getting bumped by cyclists and skateboarders as they zoom by.

3:35 PM, February 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home