Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Vandalism and Free Speech

Several days ago some anti-abortion crosses at the Queen of Angels Church were vandalized. This isn't right, of course, but since abortion is a volatile issue, a display like this is bound to ignite tempers.

It's the same phenomenon with those Saturday anti-war demonstrations near Veterans Park. Most of the people who drive by are honking and waving. But some of them are holding up a middle finger, which is their right.

We have a guarantee of free speech, but people who disagree with you have the same guarantee; and they might tell you, quite bluntly, what they think of your speech.

Personally I've never had a political bumper sticker or even a yard sign with a candidate's name. I admire people who do, but I always figure my house or car will be vandalized by somebody who likes the other candidate.

Again, it wasn't right to vandalize that display at Queen of Angels, but the vandalism can't be surprising, given the strong feelings on the abortion issue.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the crosses on the church are insulting for a variety of reasons. FIRST....abortion is a personal subject. No one should be dictating something so personal. It's also a MEDICAL procedure. Churches need to stay out of medical decisions..as it's only the patient and family who SHOULD be involved.
And, crosses on a lawn remind ME of racism. Used to be, not that long ago, that black families were tormented by white folk putting burning crossing on the lawn...those were church going, god fearing white folk, mind you.
So, is this an attempt to terrorize those who do not agree?

7:51 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone should be able to put up a sign on their private property stating just about anything they want.

If you want to engage in civil disobedience, save it for a deserving entity like the Ministry of Homeland Security, the IRS or even the UN.

9:00 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right..I think I'll put that 3,000 year old symbol...the "equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles" all over my buildings and on my car and property.
Hmm, I think you might know it better as a swastika. What would that mean, then?
Would that be okay with you?
WE must live in a society...and being POLITE still should be more important than being right.

1:32 AM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, will put whatever I want in my yard, be it a NAZI swastika (by the way there is a Buddhist swastika that is the mirror image of the NAZI one), a plastic baby Jesus hanging from a noose or an American flag lying the the dirt. Someone coming on to my property to rectify my morality is going to find a very tense situation rapidly spiraling out of control.

Now I don't do those things, I find other ways to make my neighbors think I am weird but everything described above is within my rights.

8:13 AM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going whale hunting this weekend.

2:50 PM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drew a whale cow tag. If you see one, drop a depth charge on it and I'll tag the biggest chunk.

9:22 PM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should be punished for not sharing my opinion.

8:25 AM, October 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what pinhead at Queen of Angels church decided to divide a community? It makes no sense? What does it accomplish? Who's ego is it inflating? Most people look at churches and figure "yeah, they are probably against abortion"...so big deal to restate their position in an attempt to outrage others. It worked, and now they whine about the vandalism?
If a woman dresses like a hooker, and gets hit on...then complains the man is a pig and treated her like a hooker....who's the bigger idiot?

9:25 AM, October 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they have a dumpster close by?

10:09 AM, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or elk?

7:18 PM, October 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home