Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Cell Phones

According to the online poll in today's PDN, one out of every eight Peninsula residents is an old fashioned primitive Luddite who doesn't even own a cell phone. And I'm one of them.

The percentage might be even higher, since a true Luddite wouldn't be using the online PDN, and might not even use a computer at all. I would have guessed the percentage was lower; it sure seems like every man, woman and child has a cell phone.

We had cell phones for about two months when we first moved here. I finally understood why people are always shouting into their phones. When you're having trouble hearing that tinny voice coming out of the phone, the natural tendency is to talk louder. "WHAT? WHO? I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

We canceled our cell phone service after two months. And we never paid that $300 early-cancellation fee either. The cell phone carrier can yell and plead and threaten and cry all they want. What are they gonna do, cut off our cell phone service?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quest promised DSL, sold me their equipment, charged me for it and then after four months still didn't have their service ready. Cancelled, sent it back, got my refund and then moved my home number to a cell. Syncs with my Outlook contacts and calendar, no slips of paper, no slips of mind. Never miss a phone call, never need to find a phone booth, or use someone else's germy phone. Text my friends, what's up? Pics of mishaps and witnesses, searches the web on the go, provides directions when lost, lets me know when I've been outbid on that Van Gogh on eBay, let's me rebid higher, so that I might win.

Only costs twice as much!

Quest who? Why? Wake up people!

2:39 PM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you said "Luddite"!

5:01 PM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quest is useless. It was like pulling teeth trying to get somebody to actually come to our house. They kept insisting that all they had to do was have somebody flip a switch at their headquarters in Colorado, and our phone connection would be up and running. It wasn't.

And now that we're using them, their telemarketers call all the time. I have to listen to their sales pitch for half a minute so I can sure they aren't calling about our account, before I hang up on them.

10:35 AM, March 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home