Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Clallam Transit: Increased Bus Service?

With gas prices through the roof (and don't hold your breath waiting for them to come down), this seems like the perfect time to start using local transit.

Unfortunately, if you commute by bus, there has to be a bus that arrives at your workplace at the time you start work; preferably not an hour early or five minutes late. Or, employers could allow their employees to flex their work hours around the bus schedule. As long as it's the same number of hours, what's the problem? As radical as that idea might sound, there are areas where employers actually do this.

In yesterday's PDN (article not available online), this point was made by two commuters: one who lives in Port Angeles and works in Forks, and one who lives in Diamond Point and commutes to Port Angeles.

Fortunately, Clallam Transit has hired a consultant (Perteet Inc. of Everett) to come up with ways to adjust the bus schedule around riders' needs. According to Terry Weed, Clallam Transit general manager, the consultant should be making recommendations in late 2008 or early 2009.

Clallam Transit received a petition signed by twenty people who work in Forks and would like a more convenient bus schedule. If you have suggestions for how to improve the bus service, you can send them to:

Clallam Transit System
830 W. Lauridsen Blvd.
Port Angeles, WA 98363

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would take a heck of an adjustment to do me any good since my job is in Seattle.

But if I don't want to come in to work, I just email my boss, say "I can't find my pants" and work from home. But thats just the nature of my job, they love me, I tolerate them and everything is hunky-dory.

11:27 AM, April 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think people with long commutes will make much use of transit, unless they don't have a car. The bus takes too much longer. If it's a one hour drive it's an hour and a half or even longer on the bus.

8:41 PM, April 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if enough transit riders could be encouraged to make an "express" bus work on the Peninsula. Since I had more time last summer I decided to leave the car on Bainbridge, walk on the ferry and take a bus from downtown Seattle to Burien to visit my dad. The trip took less than twenty minutes, faster than the car trip ever takes. I was pleasantly surprised.

10:56 AM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Barry said...

I wonder if enough transit riders could be encouraged to make an "express" bus work on the Peninsula. Since I had more time last summer I decided to leave the car on Bainbridge, walk on the ferry and take a bus from downtown Seattle to Burien to visit my dad. The trip took less than twenty minutes, faster than the car trip ever takes. I was pleasantly surprised.

10:57 AM, April 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home