Sunday, June 01, 2008

Buying Food Locally

This website was written up in today’s Peninsula Daily News (article not available online). It’s an online food network — a link between local farmers and online shoppers who want to buy locally.

Why buy locally?

Like the bumpersticker says: “If you bought it, a trucker brought it.” With gas prices shooting up, up and further up, everything you purchase is going to cost more because of transportation costs.

Also, if local farmers can make a good living selling their products, their land will become more valuable. Farmers will then be less likely to sell their land to a developer in order to make a profit.

And remember: out of every dollar you spent at a locally-owned business, sixty cents of that dollar stays in the community. When you spend your money at a Big Box store or a national chain, only SIX cents of each dollar stays in the community. You can help yourself and help the local economy at the same time.

This online food network was developed by Laura and Sid Maroney, who live on a farm just north of Sequim. You go to the website, order exactly the food you want (out of what’s available) and then pick up your order at the farm.

Please check out their website. There’s a lot of great information here.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

Hehe! I didn't even realize you had this blog. I will have to check it out from time to time in order to keep up with what is happening in the town where I lived from 1/84 to 6/89. It was a great place to live, and I sometimes find myself thinking I wish I was still there!

Actually, I was looking at your personal profile to see if you had an e-mail address listed (and I noticed you have another blog!) You said you hadn't heard much of the music I saw at the Sasquatch Festival last weekend, and I'd like to make you a sampler CD or two of this year's and last year's stuff and send them your way. If you are interested, send me an e-mail at my e-mail address (it is on my weblog in my profile).

9:29 PM, June 01, 2008  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Snave: Thanks. That's a great offer. I sent you an e-mail.

I started this blog in October '06. It's less opinionated than my other blog; I'm mostly just trying to have an online forum for local issues.

Port Angeles has probably changed quite a lot since you moved from here. I moved here in 2004.

Thanks for stopping by.

11:47 PM, June 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What have you got against real estate agents, developers and Big Box stores?

5:39 AM, June 02, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What have you got against real estate agents, developers and Big Box stores?" Nothing per se, unless there are too many of them.

Sequim used to be a small town in a scenic area. Now you can't see anything except malls and sterile housing tracts as far as the eye can see. I don't want that last remaining bit of farmland to get paved over.

12:15 AM, June 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm,
After they've seen Silverdale?

8:16 AM, June 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If people would come downtown and shop, they wouldn't ever go to Silverdale again! Seriously, we've got lots of great shops, and why spend all that gas money getting to Silverdale when you can shop locally? It makes a huge difference with all retail, not just with buying food locally.

Come on down and check it out!

7:30 PM, June 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If people would come downtown and shop, they wouldn't ever go to Silverdale again!

Ah, yeah right! With the exception of just a few quality businesses, the "Downtown" is collection of second-hand stores, similar to snake pits like Downtown Aberdeen or Bremerton.

Bring on another tattoo parlor and reopen Delaney's!

11:01 PM, June 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home