Sunday, May 17, 2009

Forks and Twilight

I was in Forks about two weeks ago, for the first time in over a year. It seemed like the Twilight phenomenon has really boosted their economy. And now this article confirms it. The same article is also linked here.

The previous time I had been in Forks — early 2008 — it looked really depressed. It seemed like half of the businesses downtown were either closed or for sale. Two weeks ago, I didn’t see a single empty storefront. Maybe there are some, but driving up and down the main street I didn’t see any.

And the whole town had a liveliness, an “up” feel to it, that I’ve never seen there before (in my 4-½ years of living in this area).

You Go Forks.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not understand the Twilight phenomenon at all.

But I like money! So... yay!!

1:58 PM, May 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too! I read 'Twilight' just to see what all the fuss was about, and I found it to be pretty lightweight, a kids' book. But then I understood, that's all it's trying to be, and it's very successful! Whatever the reason, people love it.

Good for Forks, and good for all of us.

4:42 PM, May 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of folks love fiction because reality is hard for them to understand and deal with.

5:09 PM, May 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree. Completely. After an 8-hour day slogging through the trenches of the modern workforce, I come home, do whatever work needs to be done around the house, make sure everyone in the family is alive and accounted for and will remain so in the foreseeable future, and then I sit down and read a bit because I just can't handle reality.

But, you have inspired me! Lately I've been cruising through Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon", an escapist fantasy if ever there was one! But tonight I will set that aside and instead focus on "reality". I've seen how everyone else handles reality... by watching those "reality shows"... 'cause they're real! So tonight I'll just the real world and watch "I'm Going to Marry Someone I Met on TV" and "Survivor: Hoodsport" and "More People Vote on American Idol Than For the President and That Ain't Bad!" The standardized version of reality will ooze through my frontal cortex like diapers cast carelessly through into the rocks at the spit.

Keepin' it real. Oh yeah.

8:48 AM, May 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home